When do we need to seek the help of a psychotherapist/counselor? When our lives have been hard, painful, lonely, can’t work, want to give up, want to run away from everything, can’t function, sleep all the time, have poor relationships with self and others, and if you become suicidal. (If you are suicidal, call for help immediately! Call 988.)
More descriptions of when we need to seek help to heal from trauma:
- Depressed and/or anxious for 6 months or more
- Feeling worthless and of no value
- Constant loneliness
- Anxiety/panic attacks
- Grieving beyond the usual intensity and length
- Hating ourselves and others
- Angry and bitter
- Jealous of everything and one
- Trauma of any kind can include neglect, poverty, gangs, isolation, scapegoating, war, rejection, etc.
- Abused – mentally, physically, emotionally, sexually, and spiritually.
- Shame filled
- Social anxiety
- Changing between depression and manic moods
- Hallucinations, delusions
Because we hurt, it feels awful being us. We have pain, loneliness, and no hope. It is time to find a good psychotherapist. In my book, If Marie Did It, So Can I! How to survive, heal and transcend abuse and neglect, I outline how to find a high-quality therapist. You can heal, get out of pain and learn to like yourself.
- How many of the above do you have?
- How long have you been in pain and loneliness?
- Were you traumatized? How?